From September to November we’ve put together a number of new experiments in product mix and marketing.
- 6 Sep 2012: New children’s and young-adult fiction from Cover2Cover (blog post), Big Bug Books (blog post) on paperight.com
- Oct 2012: Prototype consumer-focused mobile-optimised site went live
- Nov 2012: Random House Struik (SA’s biggest general-interest publisher) signed and delivered a dozen books, which are currently being prepped for upload to paperight.com
- 20 Nov 2012: Announced our first experimental Coca-Cola-sign-style branding of a copy shop: http://blog.paperight.com/2012/11/arnies-printing-gets-a-new-paperight-sign/
- Late Nov 2012: I and the team produced a range of new marketing materials and messaging: anthology posters, small Paperight flyers, an outlet-info pack, revised website UI
It’ll be interesting and hopefully valuable to see what works.
We also got out of the office a bit:
We learned a lot of hard lessons about how and now not to describe Paperight to consumers. This and other feedback and experience in October led us to completely overhaul our messaging … and our marketing focus, shifting from pushing ‘Paperight’ to pushing our outlets and backgrounding Paperight.
- 24 Sep 2012: Well-received panel discussion titled “The Future of the Book” at the excellent Open Book Festival in Cape Town
- 11 Oct 2012: Our comms manager Nick was on national TV show ‘Hectic Nine 9’, and wrote it up on our blog. Here’s the video. It didn’t go as planned. We learned a lot of hard lessons about how and now not to describe Paperight to consumers. This and other feedback and experience in October led us to completely overhaul our messaging (from standard pitches to site UI) and our marketing focus, shifting from pushing ‘Paperight’ to pushing our outlets and backgrounding Paperight. (More on that in a separate post.)
- 15 Oct 2012: Content manager Tarryn attended the Frankfurt Book Fair. Here’s her blog post about it.
- 7 Nov 2012: We announced our Paperight Young Writers Anthology: a collection of writing and illustration by high-school learners to be published on Paperight in 2013
- 20 Nov 2012: I spoke at the Owl Club, a most venerable institution. Here’s the text of my talk.
A number of people have been talking about us. Some highlights:
- 4 Sep 2012: Interviewed on video for SAB Innovation Awards, awaiting finished video to post and blog
- 13 Oct 2012: Listed among Ventureburn’s ’13 South African startups to look out for in 2013′
- 13 Nov 2012: We were awarded an SAB Foundation Innovation Award Seed Grant of R100K. Paperight blog post.
- 14 Nov 2012: Nice article in leading Eastern Cape paper the Daily Dispatch about one of our outlet entrepreneurs, Vuyani Majola